Spanaway is a community encompassing more than eight square miles within east Pierce County, Washington. Located approximately 40 minutes from Seattle and about 10 miles south of Tacoma, the community is known for its serene, natural surroundings, making it a perfect place for anyone who loves the outdoors.
The community of Spanaway is a very popular choice for many young families, thanks to its affordable cost of living, easy access to large cities, and top-notch real estate options to choose from. Even with Spanaway’s prime location close to Tacoma and Seattle, those living in the community enjoy many exciting activities within the area year round, including shopping and dining, golf, hiking, water activities, and more.
If you’re looking forward to a laid-back lifestyle in a serene, natural setting away from the hustle and bustle of the big city, Spanaway is definitely hard to top.
Did you know?
- Up until 1863, the area now occupied by present-day Spanaway was under the control of the Hudson’s Bay Company, which had its headquarters in Fort Nisqually.
- The community got its name from Spanueh Lake. “Spanueh” is a Lushootseed word which means “dug roots,” referring to a section where camas and other edible roots thrived.
- Spanaway was renamed to “Lake Park” in 1890 by the Lake Park Land, Railway, and Improvement Company, which purchased the surrounding land east of the lake.
- After Mount Rainier National Park opened in 1899, many tourists took the train to the park’s terminus in Spanaway, which was the starting point for the two-day journey towards Mount Rainier. This made Spanaway the original gateway to Mount Rainier.
Homes for sale in Spanaway, WA
Buyers will be able to select from a variety of lovely real estate options in Spanaway ranging from comfortable apartments, stylish townhomes, and spacious single-family homes.
The median home value in Spanaway is $304,711, which is considered very affordable for the Tacoma and Seattle areas, making the community a popular choice for young families looking to buy their first home.
Prospective buyers can choose from an array of beautiful architectural styles, including Ranch, Chalet, Craftsman, and Contemporary. Most homes in Spanaway are located in family-friendly master-planned neighborhoods that offer top-quality amenities such as tennis/basketball courts, community clubhouses, swimming pools, playgrounds and more. Most neighborhoods are also conveniently located minutes away from the freeway, offering an easy, stress-free commute to Tacoma or Seattle.
Living in Spanaway, WA
- Public schools in Spanaway are served by the Bethel School District. Some of the best schools in the area include Evergreen Elementary School, Elk Plain School of Choice, and Pioneer Valley Elementary.
- Nearby institutes of higher learning located close to Spanaway include Pacific Lutheran University, University of Puget Sound, City University of Seattle, and several satellite campuses from The Evergreen State College.
- There are over 13,000 employees within Spanaway alone, which means there are many employment opportunities available. Residents also get easy access to Tacoma and Seattle, opening up more opportunities for those looking to start a career.
- If you’re a fan of the gentleman’s game, Lake Spanaway Golf Course is a classic course ideal for players of all skill levels. From its soaring Douglas firs lining every fairway to its strategically placed bunkers and expansive greens, golfers will enjoy an unmatched playing experience from start to finish.
- Enjoy the fresh air and the breathtaking views at Spanaway Park, a picturesque 135-acre park located along the shores of Spanaway Lake. Visitors here will be able to enjoy fishing, swimming, and boating, as the park features two swimming beaches equipped with docks. In addition to fun activities on the lake, Spanaway Park also features basketball courts, softball fields, an expansive play area, and scenic walking trails winding throughout the lake.
Work with me, Lori Lewandowski, today to find the perfect home in Spanaway, WA! I am a full-time and full-service real estate agent with over 38 years of experience in real estate, consistently ranking in the top 1% in sales year after year – you’ll be hard-pressed to find a more capable professional who can help you towards your real estate goals!
Call now to inquire about housing options, learn more about the community, consult about community resources and facilities, or discuss related concerns.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.